IngredientsEdit1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, room temperature
1 large egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 tsp green food coloring
1/4-1/2 tsp red food coloring
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place liners in a 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract until mixture is smooth.
- Stir in half of the flour mixture, followed by the buttermilk. Stir in remaining flour mixture, mixing just until no streaks of dry ingredients remain.
- Transfer 1 1/4 cups of batter into a small bowl. Add in 1/4 tsp red food coloring (adding additional, if needed) and mini chocolate chips and stir until the food coloring has been completely incorporated.
- Add green food coloring to remaining batter and stir to incorporate.
- Add a small amount of green batter to each muffin cup. Add a dollop of red batter with mini chocolate chips on top of each dollop of green batter, then finish off the cupcakes by dividing the remaining green batter evenly over the top of the red. Each cup should be roughly 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes at 350F, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Turn the cupcakes out onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.